My daughter (age 6) is just learning to sew. Together we made this felt baby dinosaur and egg for her brother for his birthday. We worked together to draw the egg and then the baby dinosaur, we had to be careful to make sure he would fit nicely inside. She was able to do the sewing pretty much herself, I just started and ended it for her. She was thrilled with the result and loved being able to give a gift that she had made herself!
Learn To Sew | How To | Felt Baby Dinosaur and Egg
- Green 9×12 Felt Sheet
- Cream 9×12 Felt Sheet
- Cream Embroidery Floss
- Green Embroidery Floss
- Black Bead for Eye
- Sewing Needle
- Sewing Pins
- Polyfil Stuffing
- Work with child to draw egg and baby dinosaur shape on paper to create a template. Trace shapes onto felt using fabric pencil.
- Double felt over and cut out shapes. You should have two identical pieces for each shape.
- To create your egg, pin identical egg pieces together. Next, thread your needle and tie a knot at the end of the thread. Start sewing on the top corner of the egg. Remember to keep the top (cracked) part of the egg open so your baby dinosaur can fit inside. Tie a knot to finish. Repeat this step for other half of the egg.
- To create your baby dinosaur, pin pieces together. Next, thread your needle and tie a knot at the end of the thread. Start sewing at the dinosaur’s nose and sew along the bottom of the dinosaur. When you get up to the top of the tail add stuffing to the legs and tip of the tail. Continue sewing and adding stuffing as you go. Tie a knot to finish.
- Play with your new baby dinosaur and egg or give it as a gift to your brother!