My son is in love with all things Space. For his birthday he wanted to take a Space themed treat to school to celebrate. I came up with an idea to create the Space Shuttle out of Lifesavers and Hershey’s Kisses. For me this was better than baking cupcakes! It probably was better for the teacher too, who didn’t have to help a class of Kindergarteners unwrap their cupcakes and then clean up the frosting mess afterward.
Later this week I hope to post about the Solar System mobile we made and tell about his Space themed birthday party. So check back to see what cool space projects you can make!
***NEW – I just added a separate download for a Rolo sized wrapper. See the free downloads below.
- Lifesaver Rolls (I bought mine at Sam’s Club)
- Hershey’s Kisses (at Sam’s Club)
- Glue Dots
- School Glue
- White Paper
- Color Printer
- Silhouette Machine (optional)
- Black Paper
- Space Shuttle Treat Download
- Use a large glue dot to stick a Hershey’s Kiss to the top of each Lifesaver roll.
- Use a color printer to print out the Space Shuttle Treat Download and then cut out all the needed pieces. (If you have a Silhouette Cutter and Illustrator it will be easiest to download the file and open up the .pdf page of fins in Illustrator, then use black paper in your machine to cut out the fins.)
- Wrap the Space Shuttle paper around the Lifesavers and adhere the wrapper to itself by making a line of glue along the long edge and overlapping the ends of the paper. Hold in place for a few seconds to let it set, then put it aside to dry.
- Make a small fold on the long straight edge of each fin. Run a small line of glue along each (4) black line at the bottom of the space shuttle wrapper (see pic below) and adhere fins to wrapper. Hold in place for a few seconds and then put it aside to dry.
- Use as a treat at a space themed party or pass your Space Shuttles out at school on your birthday!
Free Download: Space Shuttle Treat Download
Rolo-Sized Wrapper: Space Shuttle Treat Rolo Wrapper Download