I made this heart felt necklace for my First Grader, who is having a hard time adjusting to being away from home everyday. I decided to make something special for her that she could wear all day at school. I told her that I blew 1000’s of kisses inside while I was sewing it and so did her Dad, brothers, sisters, Aunt, Grandma and Grandpa. (We were at the cottage with everyone the night I was sewing it.) I told her to hold it close to her heart and kisses will come out when she needs them. She has been wearing it under her shirt all week and she makes sure to put it on first thing in the morning when she is getting dressed. She told me she holds it when she feels sad, and that she has shown it to some of the other kids in her class, but she never shows them the I love u side. If you have a grade-schooler who is feeling kinda weepy all day about being away, this cute necklace might be the way to make her feel a little extra secure.
How To | Heart Felt Necklace
- Red Felt
- Pink Embroidery Floss
- Satin Ribbon
- Poly-fil Stuffing
- Fabric Pencil
- Cut out two identical hearts from the red felt.
- Thread the needle with embroidery floss and tie a knot in the end.
- Use a fabric pencil to lightly draw a heart shape on one of the hearts.
- Use a satin stitch (how to here) to create the heart on the front piece of the necklace.
- On the other heart use the fabric pencil to draw the words I love u.
- Use a back stitch (how to here) to create the words.
- With the heart felt pieces back-to-back use a blanket stitch (how to here) around the edge. I recommend starting the blanket stitch at the bottom of the heart. When you get to the top insert one end of the ribbon in the top hump of the heart. Do a couple hidden stitches to hold the ribbon to the heart. Continue with the blanket stitch. When you get to the top of the second heart hump insert the other end of the ribbon and stitch that end in with hidden stitches as well.
- Continue with the blanket stitch. When you get close to the end leave a small opening. Blow tons of kisses inside, ask for help from family and friends.
- Fill the inside of the heart with Poly-fil Stuffing and continue sewing the heart closed using the blanket stitch.