Here is something you can make your little sweetheart for Valentine’s Day, a hand-crank music box placed inside a cute hand-painted wooden box. When my daughter (now 6) was a baby I always sang her “You Are My Sunshine” while I rocked her to sleep. My daughter and I still love to sing this song together. (Have you heard this version by Elizabeth Mitchell?) Below are the instructions for creating your own wooden music box.
(I also wanted to mention that this would be a beautiful way to present an engagement ring.)
How To | My Sunshine Music Box
- Hand Crank Music Box (I found mine here.)
- Wooden Box ($1 at Michaels Craft Stores)
- Paint Stirrer Stick
- Acrylic Paint in White, Light Blue and Yellow
- Acrylic Paint Gloss Sealer (comes in same size bottle as the acrylic paint)
- Paint Brush
- Small Craft Sponge
- Black Stamping Ink Pad
- Small Alphabet Letter Stamps
- 4 Small Screws
- Wood Glue
- Dremel Tool
- Sand Paper
- My music box needed to be attached to a piece of wood and glued into the bottom of the wooden box. I found a paint stick was the perfect width. I had my husband cut the paint stick to the correct length. Then he screwed the music box to the paint stick.
- Next my husband marked where he needed to cut a notch and hole for the music box crank arm to slide down into. He used a dremel tool to cut the opening.
- You will want to paint and embellish your box next and wait until last to glue your music box inside.
- Before painting your box, sand lightly with sand paper. (I didn’t do this and should have in hindsight…)
- Paint the outside of the box with blue acrylic paint. Let dry.
- To create the clouds, lightly dip the corner of a sponge in white paint. Dab in a circular motion creating cloud shapes all around the box. Let dry.
- Paint the heart on the top yellow. Let dry.
- Use your alphabet stamps to add “my sunshine” on top of the yellow heart. Let dry.
- Paint over entire box with the acrylic sealer. Let dry.
- Adhere your paint stick with attached music box to the bottom of your painted box using wood glue.