Do you recognize this character? If you have a small children and own any sort of touch screen device you have probably seen and downloaded the game Cut the Rope. My 4 year old loves to pretend he is Om Nom and ask me for candy. He might be pretending to be Om Nom, but I am pretty sure the wanting candy party isn’t pretend 😉He was thrilled to see his Om Nom birthday cake the morning of his birthday. And all the candy piled around Om Nom really made all my kids excited. It was a simple cake to make and required no special pan!
- Cake Mix
- White Frosting
- Green Food Coloring
- 2 Chocolate Chips (for eyes)
- 4 Mini Marshmallows
- Assorted Candy – Round Peppermint hard candy would be ideal, but I used leftover candy that was hidden in our pantry!
- Oven Safe Deep Small/Medium Size Glass Bowl
- Cupcake Tin and Liners
- Mix the cake mix according to the directions on the box. Grease your bowl and pour in the cake batter. (I had extra batter leftover for the cupcakes.) Bake your cake at the temperature listed on the box. Baking times will vary because of the thickness of the cake. Use a toothpick to test the cake and see if it is baked all the way through.
- When the cake has cooled, cut off the top of the cake (that part that is already more flat) to make it lay perfectly flat. Lay the cake on a plate with the rounded part up. This is Om Nom’s body.
- Use the rest of the leftover cake batter to make cupcakes. You will need 2 cupcakes to create Om Nom’s feet. Follow cupcake baking instructions on the cake mix box.
- When the cupcakes are baked and cooled, cut two cupcakes in half. Use the halves to create Om Nom’s feet. Arrange the cut cupcakes on the plate around Om Nom’s body. Use a dab of frosting to secure them in place.
- Scoop some frosting into a small bowl. Make this frosting a light green color by adding green food coloring to the frosting until you get the desired shade.
- Frost all of Om Nom’s body and feet with the green frosting.
- Cut a small chunk of cupcake to create Om Nom’s antennae on top of his head. (I think that is what that is?) Place it on the top of the cake, you might need to secure it with a toothpick, and frost with green frosting.
- Use big globs of white frosting to make Om Nom’s eyes. Add a chocolate chip to each glob to finish off the eyes.
- Add four mini-marshmallows to Om Nom’s face to create his teeth.
- Dump candy around Om Nom’s feet.