You can recycle old scraps of felted sweaters and fleece to create your own unique felt heart pin for Valentine’s Day. (Do you recognize the Lava Girl hot pink felt on the back?) Over the weekend I started sewing the pin on the left, once my daughter saw what I was making she wanted to make one too. I tried to insist that she had to sew her heart using a different stitch because the blanket stitch would be too hard for her. She begged until I gave in and taught her the stitch, then she stitched her heart on pretty much perfect all by herself. Guess mom isn’t so smart. Tomorrow we will be wearing these all day to celebrate Valentine’s Day. Make one of these for your daughter, teacher or babysitter. They will look lovely on your shirt tomorrow!
How To | Felt Heart Pin
- Felt Scraps
- Fleece Scraps
- Embroidery Thread
- Sewing Needle
- Straight Pin
- Poly-fil or Wool Stuffing
- Bar Pin
- Fabric Scissors
- Stick-on Gems
- Cut out a square shape from your felt. (I have some Fiskars scalloped edge fabric scissors I used to cut the edges of my squares.)
- Cut out a heart shape from felt or fleece. Pin in place onto the felt square.
- Using a blanket stitch (click here for a how to) sew almost all the way around the heart. Leave a small opening for stuffing.
- Stuff the heart with a small amount of stuffing, then continue sewing the heart onto the felt square.
- Stitch words or a design in the center of your heart or add gemstones.
- Sew the pin bar to the back of the felt square.