This week we are gearing up for the start of school next week. We will be meeting L’s teacher tonight for the first time so we made her a handmade gift. This toilet paper tube pencil has a chocolate bar hidden inside. You never know when the teacher might have a bad day and need a bit of chocolate!
How To | Toilet Paper Tube Pencil
- Toilet Paper Tube
- Yellow Paint
- Paint Brush
- Clear Tape
- Masking Tape
- Black Book Binding Tape or Electrical Tape
- 4″ Square of Pink Tissue Paper
- Letter Stickers
- Download: Pencil Tip Template
- Paint toilet paper tube yellow and let dry. (Pic.1)
- Download and print Pencil Tip Template. Cut pencil tip from paper (I used recycled newsprint to get the right color). Shade the tip of the pencil tip with a pencil to make it look like a pencil tip.
- Form a cone shape with the paper pencil tip. Use clear tape to hold it together and secure it to one end of the toilet paper tube.
- Cut a 6″ piece of masking tape. Cut the long edge of the masking tape into a zig-zag pattern. (Pic. 2)
- Wrap masking tape around toilet paper tube where pencil tip and the tube meet. (Pic. 3)
- Use a pencil to draw lines down the side of the toilet paper tube. (Pic. 4)
- Cut out a 4″ square of pink tissue paper. To form the eraser tip, wrap the tissue paper over the open end of the toilet paper tube. Wrap a piece of masking about 1.5″ from the top. (Pic. 5)
- Remove tissue paper eraser from end of tube. Trim off the extra tissue paper that is below the masking tape. (Pic. 6)
- Add candy or chocolate bar to the inside of the pencil tube. (Pic. 7)
- Slide tissue paper eraser back over the end of the pencil tube. (Pic. 8)
- Secure eraser to pencil tube using black tape.
- Add teacher’s name using letter stickers.
- Add a tag or note that reads, “If you have a stressful day, break this open for a chocolate treat.”
* Click on the thumbnails to see larger images.